After the great success in community solutions that was the original Infrequently Asked Irish KC Questions, I can’t resist doing a further round.
Remember these are all questions, typed as search queries, that led people to Irish KC, because Irish KC is the site with answers.
I’m not saying the answers are right or anything, just that Irish KC has answers.
In fact sometimes I have two answers.
Click on the question for the full answer, or ignore that and just read the supplied short answer.
1. What does craic was 90 in the isle of man mean?
(Short Answer: A great time was had on the Isle of Man)
2. How do you say family in Gaelic?
(Short Answer: Teaghlach)
3. What Irish singer sang the Combine Harvester?
(Short Answer: Brendan Grace)
4. What songs did Damien Rice play in kansas City?
(Short Answer: He didn’t play ‘Eskimo’)
5. Are there African-Americans in Ireland?
(Short Answer: Yes, but that’s not what you meant)
6. Who invented the chicken sandwich?
(Short Answer: My mother)
7. Does it snow in Ireland?
(Short Answer: Yes)
8. Is WJ Mcbride’s in kansas open?
(Short Answer: No)
9. What happened to W.J. McBride’s Irish pub?
(Short Answer: They both closed)
10. Fulmuth Kearney is said to be Barack Obama’s great grandfather on his mother’s side how so?
(Short Answer: The usual way)
And the there are the questions received for which I’m not as generous with my answers:
11. Sandie Jones, Irish singer, where is she now?
Still fondly remembered for her Irish language singing in Eurovision, and by those who love show-bands. I lost track in the late 70s when she was in the Jones Gang. Sorry.
12. When did Irish singer Frank Patterson die and how?
On June 10th, 2000 of Cancer of the brain
13. Will Majella Leave Daniel O Donnell?
No. And that will be $10 please.
14. Who sings The Wind That Shakes The Barley in the movie?
Peggy Lynch is listed in the credits as the singer at the wake.
15. Did the Irish lose anything when they moved to America?
Keys, virginity, and hunger. I lost my sense of humour.
16. What does Germany look like?
Like a poorly defined square.
17. Do you need a permit to have a garage sale in Wyandotte County Kansas?
It would be the first I heard of it, but then not alone do I not live in WyCo, I don’t even live in the state of Kansas. Isn’t there a local government website for that sort of thing?
18. What do you call an Irish party?
A party, but you probably want a hooley. You may even spell it hoolie. Yes, certain parties in Ireland are called hooleys but that doesn’t mean all are, so you shouldn’t call every Irish-themed party a hooley. Also note that it tends to be casual, informal, in how it is used so printing it on posters seems to defeat the purpose. Do you know the word impromptu?
19. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan, what happened?
What do you think this is, Hello? She was on board for the tour. They were in Germany. She did the soundcheck, but by the start time of the gig she had left. That’s life. It’s a Morrissey and Marr thing. They gave us some great times. Move on.
20. I am Irish can I get a British passport?
Maybe. Were you born in the UK (including, though I don’t like to admit it, Northern Ireland)? Where were your parents born? Were they born in what is now the Republic but back when it was in the UK? Where were your grand-parents born? The UK has special clauses for Irish citizens given our history. The constitutional politics of Ireland and Britain is very messy. Consult with the departments responsible for issuing passports - of both governments. Read the small print.
21. What type of music did Irish people bring to Canada?
Disco? Or maybe traditional music. I’ve only been the once, for a layover, and I brought a tape of The Prodigy.
22. Why did Irish come to America?
For food, jobs, adventure, to get away from something (including danger), and of course, misguidance
23. What is the gaelic word for plaza?
Cearnóg. But think about it. Plaza is not an English word, so translating a foreign word imported into English usage makes little sense.
24. What year did Irish dancing start?
861 AD - or maybe it was at 9:15pm one spring day in 1994 when the Eurovision was hosted in Ireland.
25. What does music mean in Scottish?
It means love. Or if you meant what is the Scottish Gaelic word for music - it’s ceòl, much like the Irish Gaelic word for it, ceol.
26. What do you call a person from Kansas?
Intelligently Designed, a Soccer Mom, a Kansan
27. What is Irish MySpace?
MySpace. It’s a world wide web. But maybe you mean Bebo, a competing service which is bigger than MySpace in Ireland (and New Zealand for that matter). Expect the recent Facebook improvements to make big inroads.
28. On what dates did Irish immigrants come to America?
April 13th, 1783, October 4th, 1846, and June 25th, 1985
29. What does the word feis mean?
It’s another of many words in Irish for “Festival”, but it has come to be associated with formal Irish Dancing competitions. Feis Ceoil is the full title - which strictly speaking means a festival of music, though the music is never as important as the dancing. Feiseanna is the plural form
30. How did Kansas end up sharing Kansas City with Missouri?
It didn’t. Two different cities in two different states. The proximity of KC in Missouri to the State of Kansas was a factor in the naming, as was the location at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers. In Missouri you had Westport, and on the river Westport Landing to service Westport. This became the Town of Kansas in 1850, then the City of Kansas, and then Kansas City.
31. How did it go the Irish in America?
It went grand, thanks